Thursday, February 23, 2017

Breathing out the anxiety

One problem that adult children of alcoholics (ACOA) have is that we fear failure, but sabotage our successes.  It’s such a contradiction but I find that it’s true in my case.  Someone recently told me that I was a complicated and fascinating person.  Although the word ‘fascinating’ sounded flattering, I questioned it.  What’s so fascinating about me?  I thought.

Instead of taking the observation as a compliment I focused on the word ‘complicated’ and it made me feel anxious.  Because ACOAs struggle with what is normal, the statement sent me into a tailspin about about my ongoing quest for perfection.  I know, trying to be perfect is ridiculous but it’s just one of those annoying ACOA traits.

I’m learning to let myself feel good and work toward increasing good in my life.  My state of mind and mood are my responsibility.  I can breathe out the negative and anxiety that are in me and breathe in peace and serenity.  I’m learning to give myself a break and taking one day at a time.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I’m a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

#ACoAAwareness

No comments:

Post a Comment