Thursday, January 28, 2016

Facing the Fear


I met with my university advisor last week and verified that I need to take only four courses to be eligible to graduate.  This is exciting news for me.  This spring, I am enrolled in senior seminar in communication; a course developed to encourage students to review their study of communication from a variety of different perspectives.  The main requirement is to complete a major research project.  I immediately became afraid and intimidated by the class after one week.  Intimidated by the professor, by the course work, and by the other students.  I felt as if I were not ready to be in such an advanced course.

Some of the ACOA laundry list traits began to rear their ugly heads.  I remembered that the adult child sometimes feel isolated and afraid of people and authority figures; fear personal criticism, and tend to judge themselves harshly and have a low sense of self-esteem.  I was seriously thinking about withdrawing from the class; convincing myself that I’m in over my head.  I was starting the let my fears get the better of me.

However, in ACOA, we must remember that we are not alone.  Recovery is different than when we were children and had to face our feelings of fear, isolation, and despair alone.  We learn to “sit” with them without acting out. We can hug a pillow, lie on the floor or take a walk.  In my case, I meditated for awhile and came away with the renewed sense of self confidence.  I believe I can do anything I set my heart and mind to and not be afraid of the challenge.

The book of Acts, in the holy bible, chapter 18, verses 9 and 10, tells us “do not be afraid, keep on speaking, do not be silent!  For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you.”

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins, and I’m an Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment