Thursday, February 25, 2016

Pushing through the discomfort


I often joke that if I had the choice to travel down a hard road or an easy one, I’d be easing on down the easy road every time.  This research methods class that I’m enrolled in now at Trinity University is very difficult.  It's giving me a lot of angst and making me uncomfortable.  Today, my online forum work was about content analysis.  I viewed a video that showed research about how people are not really motivated to work harder at their jobs when they received bonuses.  People are more motivated by things such as meaningful duties, creativity, challenges, ownership, identity, and pride.  These things were more motivational for working hard than money.  Also contributing to society and making an impact were more rewarding.

While I personally know this to be true, there is something deep inside of telling me to quit this class; it’s too hard.  I’m losing sleep, I can’t compete.  I’m in over my head.  I have felt this many times during my tenure at Trinity and what seems to motivate me is earning an ‘A’ at the end of each course.  I believe I’m having internal struggles with my inner child.  Today little Liz put up a good fight; kicking, screaming, and temper tantrums.  But I’m in control and I say we must push pass the pain; take some Advil if needed, and finish this race.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I’m an Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment