Thursday, March 17, 2016

Just relax and have some fun

One of the traits attributed to being an Adult Children of an Alcoholic (ACOA) is that we tend to have difficulty having fun.  One ACOA said that she felt that she doesn’t deserve to have fun.  Well I’m not sure that I feel that way but I can get pretty darn preoccupied with my to do list that I feel I don’t have time to have fun.


Just last week my friends begged me to come see a play with them.  I was reluctant to go because I had so much to do that weekend.  I had to finalize my research paper for my communication course and submit it online; I had to wash clothes, and I had to pick up my mom’s prescription medicine.  I wish I hadn’t accepted this invitation, I thought to myself.

Well, it turned out that I had a wonderful time with my friends, the seats were excellent, and the play was great.  I was able to do the laundry in the morning before the play, submit my research paper online after the play and pick up my mom’s medicine the next day.  So I could have fun and the world didn’t come to an end.  I just have to keep telling myself that it's all right to relax, be myself, and enjoy my life.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins, and I’m an Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment