Thursday, March 24, 2016

Me Phobia


Me Phobia is what author Karen Blaker, identifies in her book, Born to Please, as the fear of being yourself.  She asked, “Do you often feel that you are an emotional imposter?  Are you afraid of revealing the true you?”  The answer for me is a resounding ‘yes.’

I sometimes feel that I'm just going through the motions of life.  I’m moving forward with the things I told myself that I was determine to do; finish my university studies, complete my book, travel the world.  Yet, while moving forward I feel apprehension.  What should feel like a great sense of achievement often feels like a chore for me.

Blaker says that that me phobia is a fear of getting to know yourself.  After all, what if you don’t like what you find?  This is proving to be true for me as a write my father’s story.  The sections of the book that pertain to me are revealing aspects of my character and personality that I do not fully understand.  But the good news is that, although I fear these unknown aspects, I feel brave enough to face them.  It’s all a part of the process of growing.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins, and I’m an Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment