Thursday, September 29, 2016

The Devalue Effect

Self-awareness is the conscious knowledge of one's own character, feelings, motives, and desires. The process can be painful but it leads to greater self-awareness and growth.  For the past ten months or so, I have been questioning everything I thought I knew about myself and considered normal.

I just became aware that I have difficulty accepting praise or a simple compliment on, say for instance, my hair style or clothing.  Just the other day, a co-worker noticed my onyx cat necklace. When she said she liked the necklace, my response should have been simply thank you.  But instead I said it's just costume jewelry.  Why did I devalue the necklace?  It was so unnecessary to do so.

Looking back, I realized that I have also lessened my accomplishments.  Recently, I participated in my university's tradition of Cap and Gown Convocation.  This is when members of the senior class wear their caps and gowns for the first time and are officially recognized by the university as seniors. I attended this function alone; I invited no one, not wanting to inconvenience anyone.  How lame is that?

As important as this event was; a celebration of my achievement, on some level I don't believe I valued the accomplishment.  It's like I was telling myself, it's no big deal at this point; you should have completed your undergraduate studies years ago.  Thereby, diminishing the ceremony.

As I continue to grow and become more self-aware, I vow to value myself and remember that it's all right to put myself first and to be proud of myself.

Hi, I'm Liz Hawkins and I'm a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment