Thursday, April 21, 2016

Self-Sabotage


For all that I have accomplished in the past year with school and writing my book, there are still aspects of my life that I have not improved.  One of my biggest challenges that I am currently facing is with my weight loss efforts.  I will lose ten pounds one month and before I know it, I have gained eleven pounds the following month.

It’s like I see myself going in the right direction then suddenly make a U-turn and travel back down the wrong road.  I am aware of what I’m doing, but for some reason I cannot stop it.  I spoke to my good friend and co-worker Dr. Nicole and she called it self-sabotage.

Self-sabotage is self-tale that communicates that we are no good; that we can’t do something, and that we can’t change.  Self-sabotage undermines our belief in ourselves and our motivation to change and grow.

I think because ACOAs tend to ignore our own needs due to the fact that our emotional needs continually take a back seat to our alcoholic parent, we make excuses and talk ourselves out of doing anything good for ourselves.

So it’s another eye-opening week for this ACOA.  I’m a work in progress.  I will continue to work on me because I’m worth it. 


Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins, and I’m an Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment