Thursday, May 12, 2016

The Resiliency of the ACOA


Ambivalence is the experience of having an attitude toward someone or something that contains both positively and negatively valence components.  I was born into a home with an alcoholic father and an ACOA mother.  At a very young age, I learned just how important resiliency is and could be, whether I was aware of it or not.

I loved my father because he was my father; the male barometer by which all men entering my life would be measured.  However, I despised his drinking.  I hated the smell, his physical imbalance, and the lowered inhibitions, which gave him the courage to say and do inappropriate things that he otherwise would not if sober.

I was embarrassed by him.  Growing up, my life was riddled with fear, hurt, pain, guilt and confusion.  But just like my ACOA mother, I married a replica of my father; another alcoholic.  So as I did when I was a child, I try to rise above it.  I keep it locked away from the world as much as possible because I am ashamed. 

I am a smart, talented, educated woman.  I’m proud of all my accomplishments.  Yet, I have this one aspect of my life that prevents me from shining; this barometric replica of my father.  The love/hate ambivalence of an adult child is like an albatross around my neck; a psychological burden.  No answers today folks - just observations.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I’m an Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, Liz. Your blog just keeps getting better. Your brutal honesty and life revelations are not only cathartic for you, but a challenge to us all regarding our own lives. We may not all be ACOAs, but because of your courage in writing about your experiences and impressions, you shed insight on life-turns everyone shares.

    So, thank you, Liz. Really...thank you.

    ReplyDelete