Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Doors of Life

One thing that I do not like is change to my environment.  A few months ago, I was placed on a temporary work detail for 120 days to another position within the organization.  My hope was that once the detail expired I would returned to my job.  But when I asked management about it, I was told that the detail would be extended for another 120 days.

I did not like this news.  My anxiety levels nearly went through the roof.  Then I began having a recurring dream.  I dreamed that I was in a building that I could not seem to find the exit.  Each door I opened led to another room but none led me outside; where I wanted to be.  Finally, I checked the dream catcher app on my mobile phone and learned that a door represents a new beginning or a transition from one phase of life to another.  This did not surprise me.  In fact, deep down I knew this was true, and that I would most likely remain on the work detail.  My ACOA denial trait was in full force.

But I remembered the Alcoholics Anonymous serenity prayer; ACOA has a similar prayer:  God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.  So I am resting in this serenity and taking things one day at a time.  I see it as another opportunity to grow.

Hi, I'm Liz Hawkins and I'm a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment