Thursday, July 28, 2016

Walking through the journey of life


Sigmund Freud, the father of modern psychoanalytic theory, believed dreams represented a disguised fulfillment of a repressed wish.  He believed studying dreams provided the easiest road to understanding the unconscious activities of the mind.  According to Freud, all of our experiences are stored in the unconscious and have an effect on our minds and behaviors.

I had my recurring dream of being in a building and searching for the exit.  But in a recent dream I found my way out.  I then began walking for what seemed like an eternity until I finally woke up.  I learned that walking in your dreams is a symbolic journey of life, and it can mean new beginnings.  As my work environment changes and my duties continue to evolve, my reaction to outside changes as an ACOA intensified.

I considered if I was happy or content in my dream and learned that if I’m simply walking away from a situation, then this can mean I will be forced to make a choice in my life in the near future.  I believe that on an unconscious level, I already knew this was true.  My decision whether or not to retire in 2018 depends on my level of happiest or contentment with my current work situation and what changes lie ahead in the future. 

ACOAs tend to be hyper vigilant and constantly scan their surroundings for potential catastrophes.  This is a trait that I must get a handle on.  My challenge is to adapt the Spanish phrase que sera, sera (whatever will be will be) to my daily mantra.  I must rest in the knowledge that if something is fated to happen, I cannot stop it from happening.  I cannot foretell (or control) the future.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I’m a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment