Thursday, August 4, 2016

Reflecting on the past


Sometimes when I take time to reflect on my life, I recall the string of male love interest and think:  What in the world was I thinking?  The answer is that I was not thinking; just reacting to what was familiar to me.
Adult children of alcoholics are sometimes attracted to what is called high-risk relationships.  These relationships are exciting; make you feel needed; offer freedom, and exclusivity.  These are all the things I was denied growing up in my dysfunctional home.  Although, I knew deep inside myself that the high-risk relationship was toxic, it seemed to fill a need that I’d been craving at the time.  It was also addictive.  And just like getting high, getting drunk, or overeating, you feel bad afterward.

They say hindsight is 20/20.  I so blessed to be able to look back and listen to my past; understand it and learn from it.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I’m a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment