Thursday, August 11, 2016

Making Time for Me


Someone once told me that with all I have accomplished in the past year or so, it looks like I’m just starting up when most people my age are slowing down.  Simply put, I seem to be a late bloomer.  I was taken aback by this at first; even a little miffed.  But I finally had to concede that that statement was nothing more than an honest observation.
All my life, I have been taking care of everyone else; solving everyone’s problems, and making sure everyone’s needs were met.  It’s a typical ACOA trait sometimes labeled as The Hero.  Also known as The Model Child, we tend to take over family responsibilities; can be an enabler of the alcoholic parent, and ignore our own wants and needs.  The latter is especially true in my case. 
I told the person that referred to me as a late bloomer that I have been taking care of others all my life and have taken no time to care for myself.  Recently, I re-dedicated myself to working on the second draft of my book.  Then my mother announced that she is ready to move into an assisted living facility.  So I have thirty days to arrange everything for her move.  This leaves little time for me to keep the promise I made to myself; to work on my book.
Taking care of the needs of others is so imbedded that it’s hard for me to know how to put myself first.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m always going to take care of my mom.  But I’ve noticed that I have a pattern of saying that I’m going to start doing this or that for myself, and something else comes along and shifts my attention from me to something or someone else. 
Being able to take care of my needs; putting myself first without feeling guilty or that I’m being selfish is something that I struggle with almost every day.  Does anyone else ever feel this way?  Hit me up in the comment box.  I’d like to hear what others are experiencing.  In the meantime, I’m taking baby steps to make that change; making time for me.
Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I’m a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.


No comments:

Post a Comment