Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Neutral Character


I used to think that being a neutral person was a good thing.  It seemed to keep me on the path of non-resistance, where I felt safe.  And it helped me to avoid conflict, which I detest.  When I became a writer I found that the 'neutral character' did not seem to be a good idea.  This character doesn’t feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good versus evil or law versus chaos. 

Growing up in an alcoholic home, one of my first successful coping mechanisms was isolation.  I could play by myself for hours; engrossed in my own perfect make believe world.  As a recovery ACOA I’m learning that neutrality hinder growth and isolation is both a sanctuary and a prison.  As a result, I now sometimes find myself suspended between fight or flight; agonizing in the middle, and resolving the tension by explosive bursts of rebellion or by silently enduring the despair.

Moving from neutrality and isolation is the first step an Adult Child must make in recovery.  They have been my security blanket for so long that I am finding it difficult to release.  But I am changing with God's help.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins, and I’m a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

#myacoalife
#generationaladdictions

No comments:

Post a Comment