Thursday, November 10, 2016

Breaking the chains


It saddens me that I have wasted so much of my life being bound by the chains of ACOA family dysfunction.  When I think back when I was elementary school, my teachers often commented on my report card that: Elizabeth is not working at her full potential.

I was an under-achiever because I was hiding under the shame of my dysfunctional family structure.  I never wanted to attract attention to myself.  I never wanted stand out or be singled out.  I downplayed my talents and dummied down my intelligence.  I just wanted to fit in and be normal.  The problem was - I didn't know what normal looked like. 

To be honest, I haven’t changed much.  But being introduced to the Adult Children of Alcoholics Organization has really helped me understand the effects of growing up with an alcoholic parent.  That’s why I am advocating for a national awareness day.  There are adults now in their 20s, 30s, 40s, even 50s and beyond that don’t realize they are ACOA.  An awareness day could make a difference in their lives. 

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins, and I’m a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

#myacoalife

#ACoA_Awareness

Follow me on Twitter @TrinityUniv

No comments:

Post a Comment