Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving Past

I used to dread the holidays.  My dysfunction family made it impossible to love.  After my father died and we kids were all on our own, we used to gather the family together for the holidays.

After dinner, my brothers and their wives would gather around the television drinking.  It would not be long before a fight ensued.  It would either be brother against brother; husband against wife, or sisters-in-law arguing with one another.  Their children were young, but I know it had to affect them.  I did my best to comfort the kids who watched their out-of-control parents in horror.

I don’t like the holidays that much because of my past experience.  These days a quiet dinner at home with my spouse is good enough for me.


Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I’m a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment