Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Power of I AM


Joel Osteen, in his book The Power of I AM, says that whatever follows the words I AM will come looking for you.  So, when you go through the day saying: I am blessed; blessings pursue you.  I am talented; talent follows you.  I am healthy; health heads your way.  I am strong; strength tracks you down, and so on.

I thought about this and recognized how I end my blog post every week with: Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I’m an Adult Child of an Alcoholic.  From this day forward, I am modifying this statement to: Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I’m a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

Like anyone struggling with an addiction, recovery is a process of change through which an individual achieves abstinence and improved health, wellness, and quality of life.  To continue to categorize myself as simply an Adult Child of an Alcoholic implies that I accept it as a perpetual never changing part of my life.

While I do accept that being ACOA has shaped my life, I now understand my behavior and its root cause.  I do not, however, accept that I cannot change and grow; because I can, and I am changing and growing.

Although, the journey through denial, self-awareness, and personal growth continues to be challenging, I wouldn’t give anything for my journey thus far.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins, and I’m a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment