Thursday, December 15, 2016

Distorted Reasoning


Some ACOAs suffer with distorted reasoning, a disease that distorts the reasoning all around them.  Because we try so hard to hide the pain of watching ourselves and those we love become mired in the disease and losing our grip on our own happiness, we use our thinking to twist and bend the truth into a more palatable shape.

We rationalize and deny what is right in front of us, make excuses and sometimes lie because it makes us feel better than to admit the truth.  The alcoholic lies to hide their uses and abuses, the family members lie to hide the extent of addiction and their fear, pain, and confusion. 

Soon our thinking becomes so filled with denial and rationalization that we lose our own sense of what is normal.  Eventually, our sense of reality becomes distorted.  This was the story of my life.  But now I am able to tolerate the truth because I know that I have a program, I have accepted the things I cannot change and changed the things I can.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I’m a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

#ACOAAwareness

@TrinityUniv

No comments:

Post a Comment