Thursday, January 5, 2017

Unlocking My Unconscious Mind


I learned years ago in psychology class that the unconscious is the part of the mind that is inaccessible to the conscious mind but affects behavior and emotions.  For so long, I have been out of touch with my inner self.  I’ve been in 'adult child' mode for so long; operating from a vantage point of familiarity and not being open to new and better opportunities for my life.

I recently had a dream that I was pumping gasoline in the back seat of my car rather than in the fuel tank.  I thought this was such an odd dream that I was compelled to look up its meaning.  I learned that to dream of being at a gas station indicates a need to reenergize and revitalize yourself.  This interpretation was spot on.  I have been doing so much for others for so long that I have neglected my needs.  It’s time for me take care of myself.  As an ACOA, I’m learning that it’s okay to reach out to others for help sometimes. 

I always felt there were doors locked away deep within me that I could not open.  I am thankful that I am strong enough now to understand those things that are trapped in my unconscious mind.

Hi, I’m Liz Hawkins and I am a recovering Adult Child of an Alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment